Guide to City of Jersey City CARES Act Small Business Grant Application
The following are points to acquaint you with the criteria you must meet in applying for the grant.
- Only For-Profit businesses may apply for this grant.
- Home-based, mobile and brick-and-mortar businesses are eligible for this funding.
- Grant applications will be accepted through September 2020.
- No business shall receive a grant in excess of a total amount of $20,000.
- All required documentation must be attached to the application when submitted, or the application will be deemed invalid.
- The applying business must have been opened as of March 15, 2020 and must be open at the time of submitting the application. The applying business will use its best efforts to continue operating and not layoff or furlough its employees through August 31, 2020.
- An applying business cannot have more than 25 full-time employees (not more than 1,000 hours per week) as of March 15th, 2020.
- If an applying business has received funds from any government or private source or insurance for reimbursement of Eligible Expenses (see below), then these CARE Act Small Business Grant funds cannot be used for those expenses. However, you can still apply for the other Eligible Expenses that have not been reimbursed.
- The grant may be used to pay for the following Eligible Expenses incurred – or anticipated to be incurred – during the period beginning March 15, 2020 and ending on August 31,2020. (July and August expenses may be estimated).
- Salaries of employees or sole proprietors who were on the payroll on
March 15, 2020 and will be on the payroll through August 31, 2020. The maximum amount that can be claimed is $2,000 per employee. Owners or Principals of the business are also entitled up to $2,000 for each owner or principal. The total amount claimed cannot exceed the maximum grant award of $20,000.
- Rent/Lease or Mortgage Payments
- Business Loans
- Equipment Lease/Finance Payments
- Utilities, including gas, electric and water
- Please see the “Documentation” section of the application for required documents that must be attached to the application.
- Any business who files a fraudulent grant application or misuses grant funds will be obligated to return any funds improperly received or misused plus interest at the rate of 1% per annum.
- Applicants must agree to the Certifications defined at the end of the application.
- Successful applicants may expect to receive their funds within a month of notification of their award.
- Every field must be filled out with the information; or indicate "not applicable" or put in the number 0.
BEGINNING JULY 21, 2020, JCEDC STAFF WILL HOLD OFFICE HOURS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY ON TUESDAYS AND THURSDAYS FROM 10 AM TO 4 PM TO ASSIST IN COMPLETING APPLICATIONS.